The Company Summary Report is the starting place for finding out general information about a company. It contains top level location, ownership and status, financial and industry information.
The Company Summary Report (for a quoted company) will typically contain:
• Trading Address: The registered address will be shown if the trading address is not available. The trading address is where the main business activities of a company take place rather the registered address which could be the Auditor or Accountant’s address.
• Map of Address hyperlink
• Contact Numbers: Telephone and fax numbers shown where available.
• Company Website*
• Employee Count
• Company Type: Whether the company is public or private and whether it is the parent organisation or a subsidiary.
• Corporate Family*: How many organisations are in the group structure.
• Traded*: The primary stock exchange for a quoted company along with its ticker on that exchange (some quoted firms are listed on multiple international exchanges and may have multiple tickers). The ticker provides a link to the quote.com service should you require current stock price or market capitalisation details
• Quoted Status
• Incorporation Date
• Auditor: This indicates the Auditor as of the last financial year (FYE).
• Fiscal Year End – The fiscal year end date for the last filed financials. The Annual Sales, Net Income, and Total Assets are based upon the fiscal year ending on the FYE date.
• Reporting Currency
• Annual Sales*: This is often referred to as “Annual Turnover”.
• Net Income*: This is often referred to as “Profit”
• Total Assets*: This shows how much the company actually owns and is made up of fixed (long-term – e.g. buildings, machinery, etc) and current (short-term - e.g. stock, amounts owed by customers) assets.
• Market Value – This is often referred to as Market Capitalisation and shows the stock market value of a quoted company based upon the closing stock price on the listed date.
• Business Description – Further business descriptions are available for the “More Business Descriptions” link.
* - These fields are hyperlinked which (when clicked) will launch into either a separate website or a more detailed OneSource report.
The Industry section of the Company Summary report shows all of the Industry mappings. Known SIC (Standard Industry Classification) codes will be mapped into other regional Industry taxonomies and the OneSource Industry (displayed in the above screenshot as “Industry”).
Hint – all of the links are “live” – i.e. they can be clicked on to proceed to Industry Summary reports (and related information) for each industry.
The next section of the Company Summary reports shows some of the top Executives at a company. Some of the names could be hyperlinked which means an executive biography is available.
For those of you with a subscription to the professional networking site “LinkedIn”, you will be interested to see the "in" button. By clicking on this icon, it will show you how many connections that you have in your personal network at a chosen company along with the closest three. For this feature to work, though, you must have logged onto LinkedIn during the current browser session or given permission for LinkedIn to store a cookie.
The Financial Summary section of the Company Summary report shows some of the key financial indicator ratios (such as the Quick Ratio). It also includes a graphical representation of their Sales/Total Assets and also a pie chart showing how revenue is split between the geographies that a company operates in.